Fuel your body.
Congrats you’ve made it 8 whole weeks in the lifestyle challenge! And now it’s over…..so now what?
By Meriah McLeish
Throughout the challenge there were a few common themes I heard (and experienced myself) that either helped or inhibited people during the challenge. So I created my top 5 themes and tips to help you with continue your success after the challenge!
5. If it makes you sick – don’t eat it.
We just spent the last 8 weeks cleaning up our diets and other bad habits and seeing how our bodies reacted. Why eat it if it makes you actually sick. Is it really worth it? And yes that may include avoiding challenge approved foods, such as night shades, eggs, dairy, or whatever made you feel ill.
4. Stop calling non challenge approved food ‘cheats.’
By definition cheating is act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination and comes with a bad connotation. So tell me, how does having a cocktail going to give you an unfair advantage in anything except maybe some dancing skills? Food is fuel. Some fuel is of better quality then others, and different fuels will have different purposes. Our bodies are one of the coolest and complicated machines there are! Put the proper fuel in it to make it run your best!
3. Don’t plan all your 20%s
The 80/20 rule is to eat clean 80% of the time and more relaxed the other 20%. By not planning your indulgences, it will help your keep your 80/20, when that friend comes to town, or when you find yourself busy and unprepared, or in a spot where there are few ‘challenge approved foods.’ You can now make the best choice for you in your situation with less guilt and stress, and not accidentally turning your 80/20 into 20/80.
2. Being and staying prepared.
As tedious as it can feel when we are busy, being prepared was large part of people’s success. Now that the challenge is over keep up the good habits and stay prepared will keep good fuel in your body and your results continued and sustained. This is one the best ways to prevent yourself from slipping right back into old habits. Take some time to invest in making good food, and do something good for yourself.
How many times did you want to go off the challenge approved list, but didn’t want to let your teammates (or yourself) down? Often easier to give up on ourselves, but we will hold out out a longer if we feel other people are depending on us. Many successful teams combined these last two to help them be successful during the challenge with a food swap. To help you stay accountable and prepared we want to to help by offering a 6 week paleo food swap. Food swaps are a great way to keep you accountable and prepared for the week. Trading meals are also great way to try new recipes and keep some variety in your diet. We’ll have sign ups in the gym, then bring your paleo Friendly meal to the gym Saturday’s before 10am to swap. There will also be cards to fill out who it’s from, what’s in your dish and any special instructions. We’ll have the sign ups in the gym by the end of this week, and the swap will start on Saturday, Nov. 15.
We’ve just spent the last 8 weeks getting good habits in place, and just because the challenge is over doesn’t mean those good habits need to stop!
Workout of the Day
Take your pick and do a max effort on 1, or all of the following:
Kipping pull-ups – Max reps
Chest-to-Bar Pull-ups – Max reps in 90 seconds
Push-ups – Max unbroken reps
Handstand Push-ups – Max unbroken reps
Muscle-ups – Max unbroken reps
Pistols – Max reps in 45 seconds each leg
Double-unders – Max unbroken reps
Rope Climbs – Max reps in 90 seconds
Handstand Walk – Max distance without falling
10 minutes of lower body mobility.
Post your scores to the whiteboard.